How to Become a State Thespian Officer
The members of the Iowa Thespian Chapter Student Board are the student leaders of the Iowa Thespian Chapter Board and they represent all Thespians in the state of Iowa through their efforts on the Iowa Thespian Chapter Board. The ITCSB is selected at the Iowa Thespian Festival, and members serve from November–November each year. Activities include:
- Attending monthly or bi-monthly Iowa Thespian Chapter Board meetings
- Attending the International Thespian Festival and participating in leadership workshops
- Conducting leadership workshops at the State Festival
- Organizing and implementing ideas for the following State Thespian Festival
- Communicating with other students through various outlets, including social media
- Promoting the work of the International Thespian Society and Iowa Thespians
Important Note: Troupe Directors for the selected Iowa Thespian Chapter Student Board members are included on the Adult Board, and are asked to attend all meetings and help lead Festival. Therefore, all candidates should discuss the time and travel requirements with Troupe Directors BEFORE submitting an application.
All students interested in becoming a member of the Student Board must first attend the Iowa Thespians' Leadership Camp held each year in August.
The members of the Iowa Thespian Chapter Student Board are selected during the weekend of the State Festival. To make application to the Iowa Thespian Student Chapter Board, the following forms must be submitted electronically in a single email from the Troupe Director to Chapter Director Helen Duranleau-Brennan at email@example.com:
- Iowa Thespian Chapter Student Board Candidate Application
- Iowa Thespian Chapter Student Board Contract
- Iowa Thespian Chapter Board Troupe Director Recommendation
During Festival, the following will be required:
- Attend an important meeting at 9:00 a.m. in the GBPAC lobby, where you will be given infomation on your responsibilites for Festival, and a schedule of candidate presentations to be held Saturday. Transportation to this meeting is the responsibility of the Troupe Director.
- All candidates must also attend the Leadership Luncheon, an essential part of the selection process, following Friday morning's mainstage production.
- All candidates will meet with the Iowa Thespian Board Selection Committee to give a presentation, which will be followed by a short interview. The four minute presentation should consist of:
- Three minutes dedicated to describing your ideas of a theme for next years Festival and how you would implement that theme
- One minute dedicated to describing who you are and what you would bring the the Chapter Board. Visual aids are permitted, but no technology please.
- Students should remember to dress appropriately for their interview.
Candidates will be selected based upon their completed application, essay, presentation, interview, and participation at Festival throughout the weekend. The new student board members will be announced at closing ceremonies in the GBPAC on Saturday night.
Questions regarding the Chapter Board selection process should be directed to Chapter Director Helen Duranleau-Brennan at firstname.lastname@example.org.